Name:

let me think about this question - i'll write back soon

Powered by Blogger

 

 

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Everybody's Business

Those sock totals are still coming in but this painting is not about socks - it's all about business

 

Black: lindy! Red: tom! Red: I am liking business Red: mostly because I'm good at it Black: can we make a good at business painting ? Black: i'd love to do that Red: Sure Red: I'll try to make it as business-y as a painting can get Black: that would be great Black: is great business all business all the time would you say? Red: Everything in it's own way is business, even though it may not be perceived that way Red: like our exchanges Red: our conversation is a product Black: wow Red: and we are paying online services to have this conversation Black: alright lets do some red Red: and are exchanging the services of conversation with one another Red: Better? Black: oh yes much Black: commerce Black: that's a word with quite a few meanings i'm told Red: yes, and there are a lot of different types Black: it means of course, buying and selling Black: but also it can mean intellectual exchange Black: social interaction too Red: yes, well it all depends on a product Red: and a product can be anything Red: tangible or intangible Black: when i did my word drawings on ebay a few years ago i was playing with that idea Black: an idea? Red: yes Red: look at writers Black: the BIG BLUE THING idea Red: they are paid for their ideas Black: what's your favorite kind of business? Red: or services as well, that is intangible Red: hmm, that's hard to say Red: I think I enjoy marketing or sales rather Red: because I can talk to people and can create Black: yeah! that's fun Black: steve and i do that Black: we come up with great ideas and then find companies to sell into them Red: I think doing that is a lot of fun Red: if I knew I could make a definite living off of it, I'd probably want to be a writer instead Black: i agree Black: writing is fun but can it beat painting? Black: i mean painting... you get your brush.. sort of... Black: and make shapes! lines! Black: blur things together Red: I love painting, but I don't think I could do it all of the time Red: I would feel frustrated after a while Black: too much turpentine? Black: your uncle did that alot but with acrylics mostly right? Red: hahaha, no. When I draw, I only feel like it when I have something in mind Red: I believe so, I'm not familiar with all of his mediums Black: i like what he said about 'business art' Black: i think that was right on target in a lot of ways Red: He was very on point. Black: its an exciting world in which to create business now Black: what excites you most would you say? Red: There is a lot going on. Red: I like the idea of being able to do business in foreign countries. Red: That is actually my specialization. I'm focusing on Japan and eastern Asia. Black: wow -big markets there Red: A lot of area to cover. Black: i just said goodnight to a friend who is in advertising in beijing Black: it's midnight there now Red: I would love to go to Beijing someday. Red: Though I am rather excited to go to Tokyo next year. Black: nice Black: a beautiful city Black: the art of business - for you how do you see that? Red: I think the whole country is beautiful. Red: Hmm... Red: I think business is one of those arts that just comes naturally. Red: You get to create in your own way. Black: with an idea writen down? Black: a phone call? Black: a gesture? Red: A conversation, a sale, a merger. Red: They all create things. Black: yes - in each... new ways of looking at that which was already there Black: i like that Red: Business lies on a matrix of relationships basically. It's an interesting structure. Black: like a social sculpture would you say? Red: Yes, like that. Black: its an organizing principle Black: in some cases, an organizing principal Black: in my company we actually have two of them Black: it's fun Red: That's pretty neat. Black: what is marketing. how do you see that concept? Black: it's a fuzzy word for lots of people Red: Whether they know it or not, everyone markets. Black: oh - interesting Red: We market by what clothes we wear, what music we listen to, where we spend our free time. Red: It all gives off an image of some sort. Black: that creates us yes Red: Or when you try to make friends, that is essentially you marketing yourself. Black: wow Black: mating - tha's marketing for sure Black: that's all about mergers Black: but a shared cup of coffee - that's a merger too Red: hahahaha! That is funny. Red: It's a mix of that and networking. Black: i like the term netplaying Black: makes it more fun for me Red: netplaying... I like it! Black: today we're getting people exciting about a very interesting business idea Red: Is that so? Black: steve and i talked with justin rockefeller at a friend's bday party Black: he's on the board of a not for profit called 'generation engage' Red: What do they do? Black: they're going to make it possible for good communicators to make a living simply by doing their part toward mainting a good sense of civic awareness Black: not just voting during election time..... but ongoing Black: community, friends, peers Red: That is something that really needs to be done. It seems the only time any regular person wants to talk politics is around the presidential election. Black: yes exactly Black: and then its p diddy says do this Black: its not coming from the richness of the people - it's coming from somewhere else Black: so i really like that about their approach Red: Very interesting. Black: lindy its a beautiful day Black: what are you doing to do today? Red: I'm meeting a friend for lunch, then driving home and taking a nap. Black: nice! Black: that would be a great idea for a business Black: nap hotels Red: I should start a business at school for commuters. A napping station. Black: haha nice Red: So we don't have to sleep in the hallway on benches. Black: lindy always a pleasure having you in a painting Black: best in life and business to you! Red: Glad to help. I hope it was business-y enough for you. Black: yes - in fact this is the bottom line - and it's all yours: Red: It was fun doing this, but I've gotta go to lunch with an associate.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey TOm great post. i found this online. i'm assuming you were talking about Warhol no?
"Andy Warhol first defined Business Art in the late 70's as a model for art making, and precipitated a synthesis between mass media techniques and modes of art production throughout the 80's. Contemporary forms of media, with their distributive capacity are generating increased opportunities for Business Art to proliferate and diversify. Concurrently, the confluence of creativity and entrepreneurialism within the dynamics of the New Economy, is propelling enterprises toward creative ecologies near to art practice, and facilitating art ventures with potentially self-sustainable economic structures."

5/11/2005 07:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did anybody see the Warhol portrait show in NY. It's at the Shafrazi Gallery now. It's an exhibition of his portraits. Kind of like what Tom is doing with his salon series but with more color in the faces.

5/13/2005 12:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What makes you say that Tom's work has anything at all to do with Warhol? I don't see a connection at all.

5/13/2005 01:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An enlightening post. Curious, what did Warhol actually have to say about art and business anyway?

5/13/2005 07:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi theretomvers ions,I'm out looking for the most up to date information on homebusiness and came across your site.Even though Everybody's Business was close to what I was looking for and it wasn't a pefrect fit, it certainly was well worth reading.I understand how I came across your page while I was looking for homebusiness related information. Great post. Thanks!

11/16/2005 06:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home